Thursday, May 7, 2009

10 Year Reunion Update: Please Read and Respond!!

In planning and preparing for our upcoming WXHS Class of 1999 10 year reunion, we have had several suggestions and comments that we would like to present to everyone. If you have not already visited our webpage (www.wxhs1999.blogspot.com) for information on the upcoming event, we would encourage you to do so. The event is scheduled June 20, 2009 and is set to be held at the Rice-Eccles Stadium and Tower that evening from 6:00pm-10:00pm. We are very excited at the opportunity to get together with everyone after so many years.
We have planned and prepared for a formal event, as is sometimes customary for a 10 year reunion, complete with a formal setting, catered dinner, etc, and have tried to keep the cost per individual consistent with what other schools and years have charged for entrance. We do, however, understand that in light of current economic situations, both generally and individually, the thought of spending more money on an event may not appeal to everyone. In being sensitive to the current situation and open to alternatives, we wanted some feedback on this year’s reunion. The objective of any reunion is to reunite with former classmates and peers, and that will take place regardless on June 20th.
The alternative that we submit to you is a change of venue (a park for example) where everyone brings their own dinner (or not if you would just like to stop by) and we provide the drinks and desserts. This would be informal, and you could bring your kids if you would like. We would still have a short program, but it would otherwise be just a time and place where we can all get together. We would only ask that you bring a couple of dollars per person to help pay for drinks and the cost to reserve the site. Afterwards, once it is dark, we have considered renting out the new Bountiful Recreation Center from 9:00pm-Midnight for those who would like to come (we have put a hold on it for now).
For some, this may not be what you had in mind, for others it may be exactly what you would like. Our main goal is to get as many people together as possible for this one event, and if this will draw out more to attend then we will pursue this option. As mentioned, it will still be held on June 20th, so please plan on that date regardless of where it is.
We would like your input in making this decision ASAP. As you may or may not be aware, when we reserved the Rice-Eccles Tower back in February we made a substantial deposit to hold the date. We are able to cancel that reservation, along with the caterers, within the next week and still receive a full refund. If most of you would like to continue with the formal plan, and we have enough commitments for attendance, then we will proceed with our original plan.
As for us, we just want all of you to come and look forward to a very memorable event!
-Jorge, Trish, Andrea
P.S. Please email us a response, or post a comment on facebook or the website as soon as you possibly can: jldennis2002@gmail.com, abpace@gmail.com, trishylewis@gmail.com. Also, please let all your class of '99 friends know of these details as we do not have everyone's contact info.

23 comments:

Jeff and Brittney said...

I am unable to attend either way due to conflicting travel plans, but if it helps, I really like the park idea. Casual and comfortable.

Britt

Britnee said...

I'm happy to attend either type of reunion, formal or informal works for me.

Britnee Carter

Adrian said...

I like the park idea better with the recreation center option.

Kara said...

I like the picnic idea.

Holly said...

I like the picnic idea too, wouldn't be able to attend the other event due to work conflicts but could come late.

Scott said...

Horseshoes and burgers sounds like a better time than sunset views and banquet food. Hopefully we'll be able to make it!

Todd and Julie said...

Even if money wasn't an issue I think I like the park idea better. It is more family friendly and more relaxed. I also think going to the rec center is a really cool idea even though my kids will be asleep by then. :)
Good luck with everything.

Emily said...

As much as I love a nice date with just my husband, I think the park idea sound nice too. I also think it is a great thing to try and save money, so let's go casual!

Matt and Alissa said...

Diddo for me!

Michelle said...

I think I like the park idea too. It seems like everyone will have a better time in a more relaxing environment. I hope we will be able to make it!

Susan said...

I can't make either way because I'm out of state, but I think a park is much more family oriented and doesn't break the bank! =)

Jennie said...

Prefer park option.

Holli and Billy said...

I like the park idea...

Miss Liz said...

I definately agree... cheap and comfortable. As much as I would love a nice night out minus my kids.... let's save some cash, we ar totally for the park thing.

Map Maker said...

I'll throw my vote in for the casual option. But either way works for me. $27 per person really isn't bad compared to the $70 per person my wife's highschool wanted.

I'm looking forward to it.

Kight Family said...

Casual and fun is better than formal and stuffy.

Stacy Averett said...

I like something less formal. It will be easier to talk and to mingle in a casual environment, and it will be easier on the budget, too.

Emily and Dustin said...

I think the picnic idea is dumb especially if kids are invited. This is a 10 year high school reunion, not some family get together. Anyone who brings their kids will be totally pre-occupied with them that they won't be able to visit with their fellow classmates. Plus, it will alienate those who don't have kids. The price for Rice-Eccles is not unreasonable and a much more appropriate location given the event.

Emily Schultz-Clark

Map Maker said...

I think Emily makes some great points. I change my vote to the Rice-Eccles option. For those who are saying casual, what are some of your reasons? It really wouldn't be that hard through facebook etc to plan a casual get together at a park in the future if that sounds fun. It would be nice to have the reunion be something unique and special and to be able to talk and enjoy the time rather than chase kids. Maybe the casual get together could even be planned for earlier in the day, then drop the kids off and head to the U of U for the formal part of the evening.

Dennis Family said...

Thank you for all your responses. We have had an overwhelming response on the blog, facebook, and even more through email. We are greatly looking forward to the event.
We will proceed with the casual event, as the majority (over 90%) of you have expressed interest in this option. We did not have enough commitments for the formal event to proceed with this option. We feel that we will easily have double or triple the attendance for the casual event as opposed to the formal event. This venue gives more people the option to come, or at least stop by which would not have been available for the formal event. We welcome kids to this event, however, if you want a night out without the kids that the formal event would have provided, the option of leaving them with a babysitter is still there (I myself will not be bringing my kids because I would like a casual night out with my wife).
Again, thank you for the responses. We will be posting specific details on the event within the next week, and look forward to seeing you all there!

Scott said...

Have a good time all! My wife and I won't be able to make it. Just one round-trip flight too many for the summer.

Miss Liz said...

Both ideas are great, either one would work. I was just thinking of the financial aspect of things. We also plan on leaving the kids with a sitter.... just becuase it's at the park, doesn't mean we have to bring them!

Unknown said...

I'm excited about the idea of getting together no matter where.